St Thomas More School LogoSt Thomas More’s School monogram is bounded by a circle which symbolizes God’s all-embracing love.
The rays show the infusion of the Spirit whose presence enables us to open our hands in friendship and love to the families in our community, inviting them to follow that eternal road of growth and learning which eventually leads us to become one in the Spirit of Christ.
History of our schoolSt Thomas More School commenced in temporary accommodation at the home of Mr and Mrs John Verey, on February 9, 1960.
70 pupils were enrolled from Grades 1-4 with two Sisters of Mercy, St Immaculata Coffey (Principal) and Sr Ita (Sr Ruth Mullins) in charge.
By March of that year, classrooms and a Mass Centre were opened at Laverstock Road, Elizabeth North.
In 1965, St Mary’s Church and classrooms on Yorktown Road were opened by Archbisop James Gleeson. This site was the Upper Primary Section of the Elizabeth North Parish Schools.
In July of 1981, St Thomas More Parish School consolidated on one site at 50 Yorktown Road, Elizabeth Park. The Sisters of Mercy were part of the life of this school until 2002. Mr Peter Mercer became the first lay Principal in 2003.
Sr Immaculata Coffey
Mercy Tradition and Ethos
Brief History of the Sisters of MercyCatherine McAuley was born into a wealthy family in Dublin, Ireland. Her father brought poor children to their home on weekends for instruction in the Catholic faith. He died when Catherine was very young, but his compassion influenced her entire life.
In 1831, Catherine McAuley founded the Sisters of Mercy in Dublin. Her original intention had been to gather like-minded companions and to devote her considerable inheritance to serving the poor, especially women and children. Church authorities prevailed on her to found a religious order so that the work would continue after her death.
The Sisters of Mercy took as their special concerns the education of girls, visitation of the sick in their homes and the protection of distressed women of good character. Their attention was on local needs and they soon came to be known as `the walking nuns'.
Before Catherine died in 1841, there were 12 Mercy foundations in Ireland and 2 in England and the scope of the Sisters' work included school-based and adult education, the care of the sick in hospitals and the establishment of homes for orphans, the aged and the disadvantaged.
In 1846 the Sisters of Mercy, under the leadership of Ursula Frayne, they developed a presence in the colony of Perth, Australia. The Sisters of Mercy came to South Australia in 1880. They established schools in 22 centres including - Adelaide, Parkside, Henley Beach, in the South East, Brompton and Elizabeth.
In 1957, the Sisters of Mercy brought Catholic education to the new township of Elizabeth and in 1960 started St Thomas More. We are grateful for their dedication, commitment and most of all, the legacy they have left our community. Sr Mary Lynch was the last of the Sisters to lead school community. We continue to support and pray for the Sisters of Mercy. We celebrate Mercy Day on September 24th, the Feast of Our Lady of Mercy.
The Works of Mercy
| The corporal works of mercy are:
||The spiritual works of mercy are: